Rubbish & Recycling
The carts available for rubbish and recycling collection are:
Please click here to order your carts online.
PROPER RECYCLING IN FITCHBURG
Our community is plagued by recycling contamination. Contamination occurs when non-recyclable items are put in your recycling cart. The biggest offenders are:
- Plastic Bags: Although they have a recycling symbol on them, they are not accepted in the City recycling program. They can, however, be returned to the retailers that have a bag recycling deposit box.
- Pizza Boxes: Can now be recycled, even with grease on it but no food inside it please and no plastic or wax wrap!
- Clothing: Clothing and other fabrics should be dropped off at donation boxes around the city or at the Salvation Army.
- Non-recyclable plastics: Plastic films, shrink wrap and any plastic item that does not have a numbered recycling symbol (1 through 7) are not recyclable and should go in your trash cart. These include toys, shovels, storage bins, laundry baskets, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Metals: The only metals acceptable in you recycling cart are aluminum cans, steel cans and aerosol can. Any other metal item such as bikes, mop and broom handles and brake disks should be dropped off at the metal pile at the landfill. You will need a landfill or recycling pass from the Health Department to do so.
- Styrofoam: Styrofoam packing material and food containers are not accepted in the City recycling program and should be put in your trash cart.
- Wood, carpets, and other large items: these items should go in your trash cart.
- Bags of trash: Your recycling cart is not an extension of your trash cart. Bags of trash do not belong in your recycling cart. If you need an additional trash cart, they can be leased from the City. Contact the Health Department for more information.
Please follow the guideline below to limit recycling contamination. A PDF version is available here.
Trash & Recycling Calendar
The Trash and Recycling calendar is now in electronic form on this page. Just enter your address below to obtain your collection schedule. There will be an option to download and print your collection calendar. You can also download it as an app on your smartphone or tablet by going to your app store and searching for the Fitchburg Trash & Recycling Tool. To sign up to receive notifications such as a collection day reminder or receive information such as special collections or collection delays! No smart phone required, if you sign up online, to receive notifications. Enter your address below and sign up now!
Not sure on how to dispose of an item? In the tool below is a Waste Wizard tab that allows you to research how to dispose off or recycle most items. Just type in what you want to dispose of to find out how to dispose of it. The Waste Wizard is also included in the smartphone app.
Items That Don't Fit in Carts
The Waste Wizard in the Fitchburg Trash & Recycling Tool above allows you to research options to dispose of items that don't fit or shouldn't belong in your cart. We recommend it as your first source of information.
Items that don't fit in the rubbish cart such as household furniture, mattresses and box springs, couches, chairs, rugs are considered Bulk items. Please do not put these at the curb unless they have been scheduled for pick up with the Health Department. You can scheduled a pick up by the City for a $15 per item fee. Bulk Items can also be brought to the landfill with a free recycling permit. To obtain one, simply request one at the Health Department counter at City Hall. A proof of residency will be required.
Please note that televisions, computer monitors, cathode ray tubes, asphalt, pavement, bricks, metals, lead acid batteries, white goods (large appliances and tires are not considered Bulk Items they are Waste Bans. Waste Ban material must brought to a recycling facility and disposal options are available by clicking the link below. Please do not put these at the curb!
- Want to schedule a bulk item pickup? Click Here!
- Disposal options for items not collected at curbside
- Want to recycle an item but don't know where to go?
- Free curbside removal of tires off the rim
Recycling Options for Items That Don't Belong in Your Recycling Cart
MassDEP is hosting on their website a directory on where to recycle practically everything. It's called Beyond the Recycle Bin. Click the link to access the directory. Fitchburg is also a member of MassDEP Recycle Smart. Click on the link to access Recycle Smart