- Reference & Research
Reference & Research
The Fitchburg Public Library has an incredible collection of books and periodicals to help you with your research. Whether you are a student looking for the latest information on genetic engineering, or a do-it-yourselfer looking for plans for patio furniture, the Library reference staff can help you locate the material you need.
Here are some online resources to help you get started:
- Reference Tools - Librarian-tested websites.
- Magazines/Databases - Electronic articles, books, facts and pictures. Many are full-text, so you can see that entire article from Newsweek! Have your library card number handy.
- Online Catalog - Search our collection by Title, Author or Keyword.
Reference & Information Services
- Brief factual answers requiring 3-5 minutes for customers in person and by telephone (978-829-1780).
- More in depth assistance available in person.
- If we don’t have it, we can try to get it via Interlibrary loan.
- Get help with online research and using the databases.
- Official U.S. Census Data .
Fitchburg Historical Research
Our local history collection, in the Willis Room, includes high school yearbooks, city directories, vital records from many Massachusetts towns, D.A.R. records and much more! You can access these materials whenever the library is open.
Archives of the Fitchburg Sentinel/Sentinel & Enterprise are on microfilm (1839-Present). These are available for public use during any of the library's open hours.
The Raivaaja (Finnish-American newspaper) archives (1905-2009) are available for in-library use in digital form. Please ask at the Information Desk to access. Thanks to the Raivaaja Foundation for completing the digitization of this resource.
- Information on our Magazines/Databases page.
- Fitchburg Past and Present on Open Library.org
- Fitchburg High School Yearbooks Archive
- Newspaper Archive Database - search for historical and genealogical information. (free only when used within the Library!)
- Architectural/Historical Inventory of Fitchburg and Comprehensive Community-wide Survey: Fitchburg, Massachusetts.
- Archive.org (search Fitchburg and check "Search full text of books") There are over 75,000 items for Fitchburg.
- Digitalcommonwealth.org (primarily pictures) There are over 1,700 pictures for Fitchburg.
Requests for Photocopies
Copies for items with exact citation (for example: copy pages of the Chapman family in the Fitchburg City Directory for the year 1921) may be requested contacting:
- Fitchburg Public Library
610 Main Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420
Searches requiring more material or time (such as: an obituary without the death date, or an article on a local event) can be requested in the same way, but customers will be informed if the search is inappropriate for the scope of a general public library to handle. Referrals may be made to the Fitchburg Historical Society or to persons who research for a fee.
Copies will be sent by mail or fax. For more than 10 copies, $0.15 per additional copy will be charged. Checks are to be made out to the Trustees of the Fitchburg Public Library.
Fitchburg Historical Society
The Fitchburg Historical Society does genealogical research for a fee. They can be reached at:
- Fitchburg Historical Society
781 Main Street
P.O. Box 953
Fitchburg, MA 01420