Family Services Unit

The Family Services Unit at the Fitchburg Police Department employs an advocate who provides services for the victims of domestic violence within the City of Fitchburg. Services provided by the unit are crisis intervention, risk assessment, referrals to community services, educational services relating to 209A rights and options, and record keeping.

The Domestic Violence Advocate works closely with YWCA, Safeplan and the Spanish American Center to provide a complete support system for the victim. Court Advocacy is also offered to the victims to help aide in holding the offender accountable by full prosecution. The Fitchburg Police Department is committed to achieving a community free of domestic violence.

A kid holding up a drawing with the text 'If there's violence in the home, the kids get the pi
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner. Domestic violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic, or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, isolate, frighten, terrorize, coerce, threaten, blame, hurt, injure, or wound someone.

Domestic Violence Hotlines & Resources

  • YWCA Domestic Violence Hotline: 508-755-9030
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-Safe
  • Fitchburg District Court / Safe Plan Advocate: 978-345-8699
  • Spanish American Center: 978-534-3145
Sexual Assault Hotline & Resources
  • Pathways for Change
    588 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01608-2014
    Additional site in Fitchburg
    Hotline: (800) 870-5905
    Office: (508) 852-7600
    TTY: (888) 887-7130

You have the right to appear at the Superior, Probate and Family, District or Boston Municipal Court, if you reside within the appropriate jurisdiction, and file a complaint requesting any of the following applicable orders: (a) an order restraining your attacker from abusing you; (b) an order directing your attacker to leave your household, building or workplace; (c) an order awarding you custody of a minor child; (d) an order directing your attacker to pay support for you or any minor child in your custody, if the attacker has a legal obligation of support, and; (e) an order directing your attacker to pay you for losses suffered as a result of abuse, including medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, costs for restoring utilities and replacing locks, reasonable attorney's fees and other out-of-pocket losses for injuries and property damage sustained.

For an emergency on weekends, holidays, or weeknights the police will refer you to a justice of the superior, probate and family, district, or Boston municipal court departments.

You have the right to go to the appropriate District Court or the Boston municipal court and seek a criminal complaint for threats, assault and battery, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to kill or other related offenses.

If you are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that an officer present drive you to the nearest hospital or otherwise assist you in obtaining medical treatment.

If you believe that police protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the right to request that the officer present remain at the scene until you and your children can leave or until your safety is otherwise ensured. You may also request that the officer assist you in locating and taking you to a safe place, including but not limited to a designated meeting place for a shelter or a family member's or a friend's residence, or a similar place of safety.

You may request a copy of the police incident report at no cost from the police department.

Court Advocacy for Juveniles:

The CASA Project, which stands for Court Appointed Special Advocates, CASAs help abused and neglected children navigate the Worcester County Juvenile Court System. For more information, please go to