Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project
What is the Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project?
This guide provides a brief overview of the work that will be taking place, the other projects it aligns with, and an overview of the exciting revitalization work taking place downtown.
The Main/Boulder project will convert Main Street and Boulder Drive to two-way traffic, implementing a number of Complete Streets improvements along the way. The end-result will be a project that works better for both cars and people, and will help support the revitalization of downtown Fitchburg.
October 22, 2021
P.J. Albert Inc. plans to begin working on installing foundations and mast arms for new traffic signals and controls at the intersection of Boulder Drive and Putnam Street. Their sidewalk subcontractor will also be installing new curbing and sidewalk on Boulder Drive west of Newton Place, around the 166-200 Boulder Drive campus. Expect temporary closures and delays on Boulder Drive.
October 15, 2021
During the latter half of the week, P.J. Albert Inc. plans to continue curbing and sidewalk installation on Boulder Drive west of Newton Place, around the 166-200 Boulder Drive campus. Expect temporary closures and delays on Boulder Drive.
October 8, 2021
P.J. Albert Inc. will continue curbing and sidewalk installation on Boulder Drive between Newton Place and Main Street. Some work may extend west of Newton Place, around the 166-200 Boulder Drive campus. The week’s work may also include the paving of the eastern intersection of Main and Boulder. Expect temporary closures and delays on Boulder Drive.
Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project Designs
- The finished designs will be completed in late spring of 2020. The project will then go out to bid, with a target award date of June 2020. The work will begin in late summer, and is anticipated to be completed in fall of 2021.
- View simplified designs, which provide a basic overview of the project.
- View detailed construction designs, which provide construction-level detail of the work ahead.
Overview of Project Schedule
- July 2021: Mobilization
- Mid- July 2021: Erosion control, Test Pits (Project Wide)
- Late July 2021: Site Drainage, Main Street
- August 2021: Site Drainage, Boulder Drive
- August/September 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Main Street
- September/October 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Boulder Drive
- Winter Shut Down: December – March (weather dependent)
- Spring Start Up, March 2022 (weather dependent): East End Intersection Reconstruction
- April/May 2022: West End Intersection Reconstruction
- May 2022: Roadway and Landscaping Finishes
- Throughout the Project Period: Traffic Signalization Upgrade Work
- June 2022: Project Completion